- Research historical, scientific, cultural, etc. information – to ensure the “believability” and accuracy of materials.
- Intense knowledge of grammar usage and mechanics – to create a professionally polished work
- Problem Solving and creativity – to find inventive ways to tweak a sentence which makes the overall novel more interesting
- Communication – to ensure that all parties involved understand the goals and needs of projects
- Reading for understanding and memory – to ensure that a character does not suddenly have blonde hair, and that descriptions of characters remain the same
- Patience – to remember that good work takes some time, excellent work requires dedication